SUPPORTING HUMAN RIGHTS AND DEMOCRACY WITHOUT SPENDING A FORINT – YOU CAN EASILY DO IT BEFORE 20 MAY!
Did you know that if you live and pay taxes in Hungary you can offer 1% of your annual income tax to a public benefit organisation? This offers crucial support to civil society and important, life-changing causes.
Why supporting us?
The Hungarian Helsinki Committee is a leading human rights organisation in Central Europe. For nearly 30 years, we have been courageously defending the rule of law, equality, freedom from torture and refugees’ right to protection against war and persecution.
- In 2018 alone, our lawyers helped with free legal assistance more than 1 400 persons: asylum-seekers, detainees, victims of police brutality or Hungarian “everyday heroes” who stood up for their rights against undemocratic measures. Most of them have no one else to rely on for legal support.
- We are one of the few remaining voices that publicly oppose attacks on civil society and the further democratic backsliding of Hungary. We publicly denounced the increasingly authoritarian policies and the xenophobia of the Hungarian government more than 870 times in 2018 in domestic and international media. Our thorough reporting contributed to a series of international condemnations, most spectacularly the unprecedented disciplinary procedure for the violation of European democratic values, voted in the European Parliament in 2018 with a landslide majority.
- Since last summer, we have saved 21 asylum-seekers from deliberate starvation during their arbitrary detention in Hungarian transit zones. With our help, 26 refugees could join their family in safety in Hungary in 2018.
- Our impact goes far beyond Hungary: in the past ten years, we have successfully trained over 4 000 lawyers, judges, professors, state officers and other professionals on important human rights issues from 80 countries, as far as in Africa and Latin America, and in 6 languages.
- We won some of the world’s most prestigious human rights awards in the past two years, such as the Gulbenkian Human Rights Prize (Portugal), the ProAsyl Human Rights Award (Germany), the 2018 annual award of Human Rights First (USA) or the 2019 Civil Rights Defender of the Year award (Sweden). The Hungarian edition of Forbes Magazine chose our co-chair Márta Pardavi as one of the ten most influential Hungarian women on public affairs in 2019, stating that “many European states see the situation of the rule of law in Hungary through her eyes”.
These are only a few examples of how our work makes a change. By contributing to our cause, you can raise your voice against inhumanity and xenophobia and stand by human rights, democracy and equality before the law!
How do I designate my 1% donation?
It is simple. You can easily download or print the 1% statement form from here!
Since the form is only available in Hungarian, click here to download a form with hints in English.
Please note that the donation of the 1% is retroactive, that is, it is applied to the income gained by the employee during the previous fiscal year (i.e. those registering before May 2019 will be donating the 1% of their income in 2018). In order to donate your 2019 income, please visit the HHC’s website at the beginning of 2020 for further information.
Our tax number is: 19013983-1-42.
We have already inserted our tax identification number on the form; you just have to fill in your personal data on the upper half. Then:
- If you have authorised your employer to deal with your tax declaration, simply hand over your printed and filled out 1% statement to your employer in a sealed envelope until 20 May 2019.
- If you deal with your tax declaration yourself, your 1% statement can be sent until 20 May 2019, either electronically using the online platform, or by mail to the local directorate of the National Tax and Customs Administration (NAV in Hungarian). You can find the address of local directorates here (click on the map): https://www.nav.gov.hu/nav/igazgatosagok
- You can also just send the filled out and printed 1% statement separately from your tax declaration, by mail, to the local directorate of the tax authority, until 20 May 2019.
Thank you very much! Merci beaucoup! Grazie mille! Muchas gracias! Danke schön! Muito obrigado! Dziękuję bardzo! Dank u wel! Hvala lepo! Děkuji! Ďakujem! Kiitos! Moltes gràcies! Eskerrik asko! Tack så mycket! Tusen takk! Magne tak! Спасибо! Дякую! Teşekkür ederim! Grazzi hafna! Благодаря! Mulţumesc frumos! Cảm ơn bạn! Nagyon szépen köszönjük!