What kind of cases can we help with?
We provide legal assistance in the below listed areas. We can only provide legal representation in a limited number of cases, depending on our capacity.
We can help if you:
● have been forced to leave your country (for example due to war, torture, ill-treatment) or if you are unable to return to your country due to such a problem; and
● if you want protection in Hungary.
Information leaflet on asylum can found down below ↓
If you are not a citizen of any country, we can help you to receive stateless status in Hungary.
You can find the information leaflet on statelessness down below ↓
We can assist you if you:
● are a Hungarian citizen, refugee or beneficiary of subsidiary protection living in Hungary;
● your family members are non-EU citizens; and
● you want these family members to be able to come join you and live with you here in Hungary.
Information leaflet on family reunification down below ↓
Expulsion and deportation
We can assist you if your basic human rights have been violated by the expulsion decision. For example, you are facing expulsion and you are a family member of a Hungarian citizen, or you are in serious danger in your home country.
Crimes committed against foreigners or because of prejudice against foreigners
We help you if a crime has been committed against you because you are a foreigner or because your attackers think you are a foreigner (this is called a hate crime).
You can find the information leaflet on hate crimes down below ↓
Information for people fleeing from Ukraine
The government recognised the vast majority of people fleeing Ukraine as eligible for temporary protection by a decree on the night of 24 February. This is a temporary form of protection that can be granted quickly, and the main facts about it are summarised below. The Hungarian Helsinki Committee will help people fleeing from Ukraine. As before, asylum seekers can count on us to provide them with professional and free legal assistance, from counselling to representation.
You can contact us here:
HOW CAN WE HELP?
Click on the ‘Contact us and request help’ or on the ‘Start contact form’ button and fill out the contact form! We will respond within a few weeks. We will respond even if we cannot help you.
There are two ways we can help:
- Legal advice: this means telling or writing what legal options you have. However, we cannot write your submissions for you and we cannot represent you in court.
- Legal representation: we will write your submissions and represent you before the authorities and the court.
After discussing your case with our attorneys, we can tell you if we are able to provide you with legal representation in court.
Where can you go if we can’t help? We have gathered the Hungarian NGOs you can turn to for help.
HOW CAN YOU CONTACT US?
If the ‘Contact us and request help’ or the ‘Start contact form’ buttons do not function or you have further questions, you may reach us at the following contacts:
- email: email@example.com
- postal address: Hungarian Helsinki Committee
P.O. box 317, 1242 Budapest
- phone: (+36 1) 321 4323, (+36 1) 321 4327 or (+36 1) 321 4141 on workdays.
Please do not come to our office without an appointment, because we will not be able to consult you if you do not have an appointment.
- Asylum Procedure in Hungary pdf, 227 KB Download
- Asylum Procedure In Hungary_RUS pdf, 184 KB Download
- Asylum Procedure In Hungary_ESP pdf, 202 KB Download
- Asylum Procedure In Hungary_ARABIC pdf, 277 KB Download
- Asylum Procedure In Hungary_PERZSA_DARI pdf, 324 KB Download
- Asylum Procedure In Hungary_PASTU pdf, 315 KB Download
- Statelessness information leaflet – ENGLISH pdf, 135 KB Download
- Family reunification information leaflet – ENGLISH pdf, 873 KB Download
- Family reunification information leaflet – ARABIC pdf, 4 MB Download
- Family reunification information leaflet – FARSI pdf, 1 MB Download
- Family reunification information leaflet – FRENCH pdf, 866 KB Download
- Family reunification information leaflet – PASTHO pdf, 3 MB Download
- Family reunification information leaflet – URDU pdf, 4 MB Download
- Hate crimes information leaflet – ENGLISH pdf, 71 KB Download
- Hate crimes information leaflet – ARABIC pdf, 262 KB Download
- Hate crimes information leaflet – FRENCH pdf, 72 KB Download
- Hate crimes information leaflet – PASHTO pdf, 103 KB Download
- Hate crimes information leaflet – PERSIAN pdf, 101 KB Download
Sumbit a form to request our helpExpats in Hungary