Don’t forget to use your 1% tax! You can request that 1% of your Hungarian personal income tax be donated to support the activities of a non-profit organisation without any loss to your income until May 20th. Donate 1% of your income tax to the Hungarian Helsinki Committee, the leading organization in the fight for the rule of law and against xenophobia in Hungary.
HOW TO OFFER 1% OF YOUR TAX?
The easiest way to donate your 1% is through the “client gateway”.
- If you have a client gateway, visit https://eszja.nav.gov.hu/.
- Use the Google Translate plugin to translate the page and sign in.
- Once identified, select the 1 + 1% declaration on the right and complete it!
Enter our tax number in the beneficiary box:
Our Tax Number: 19013983-1-42
Here’s our how-to guide for you:
Why support the work of the Hungarian Helsinki Committee with your 1%?
We are the lead organisation in the fight against growing xenophobia in Hungary. If you are a foreigner living in Hungary, we work directly for you as well. Your contribution will help us continue to give legal assistance to the most vulnerable people and their families.
We provide 100% civil protection even during the COVID-19 pandemic:
- We recently won the EU Civil Solidarity Prize for opposing the Hungarian Government’s use of the ‘state of danger’ as a pretext for undermining the rule of law and restricting freedoms.In five years, this is the 9th major international recognition of our work;
- We provided free legal assistance to 985 people last year regarding cases of violations related to detention, police action and official abuse of power;
- Our Refugee Programme provided legal assistance to 799 people during this time, 222 of whom were children. Most of these asylum-seekers were forced to flee the world’s most conflict- and terror-affected countries;
- We provided free legal assistance to physicians, as well as victims of drastic hospital evictions;
- Unique in Europe, we won four cases at the European Court of Justice in 2020.One such decision forced the Government to close transit zones that had become a symbol of inhumanity to asylum-seekers;
- In a single day in May, the European Court of Human Rights handed down three judgments in which the Hungarian Helsinki Committee represented the plaintiff.We won all three lawsuits.One was on freedom of assembly, another on the investigation of police violence, and the third on respect for private and family life;
- We prepare multilingual, comprehensible information on frequently changing legislation;
- For the first time in Europe, we have developed online training on the use of plain language for professionals working in criminal proceedings. It is easier for everyone if both the accused and the witness understand their rights and obligations;
- In 2020 alone, we appeared more than 900 times in domestic and international media. Our public statements and messages clearly demonstrate that we stand together with the proponents of democracy, the rule of law and human rights.
1% from you, 100% from us!
Donating your 1% by non-digital means
You can donate by post, or in person at one of the Hungarian Tax Authority’s (NAV) customer service offices by filing form 20EGYSZA. Please enter the Hungarian Helsinki Committee’s tax number in the box for the beneficiary: 19013983-1-42
If your employer is preparing your personal income tax return for you but you do not want them to know who you are donating to, you can send the above form to NAV separately later.