Get help: Demonstration

demonstration, the right of assembly

What kind of cases can we help with?

We provide legal assistance in the below listed areas. We can only provide legal representation in a limited number of cases, depending on our capacity.

  • Complaint in connection with demonstrations, the right of assembly

    We can help if:
    ● as a demonstration organiser, participant or press correspondent in a demonstration you need advice, legal assistance; or
    ● you believe that a demonstration has not been handled properly by the police and that your rights have been violated as a result.

If you write to us, we must first review the documents and then we will respond within 90 days. We will respond even if we cannot help you. However, if the case is urgent and time sensitive, please contact us by phone.

We can usually give you legal advice. This means telling or writing what legal options are available to you (who you can turn to, what procedure you should initiate, etc.). However, we cannot write submissions for you or represent you in court.

Our lawyers will only represent you in court in exceptional cases. An exceptional case is for example a case that is strategically important, or if the violation is very serious.

Based on our professional judgment, we decide who and exactly how we will help.

Where can you go if we can’t help? We have gathered the authorities and NGOs you can turn to for help in Hungary.


Click the ‘I need help’ button below and fill out the form that appears.

Once you have completed the form, send us all the documents related to the case: not only your own submissions, but also decisions, judgments, orders, expert opinions, results of medical examinations, etc. made by the authorities or courts.

You can send the documents by:

  • Email to; or
  • post to the Hungarian Helsinki Committee, 1242 Budapest, Pf. 317. Please send photocopied documents! If you do not have the opportunity to photocopy, then send the originals and we will photocopy them and send them back to you by post.

Before asking for help, please carefully read exactly what we are able to help with. If one of the examples describes your case, please write to us by clicking on the ‘I need help’ button at the bottom of the page.

Please do not come to our office without an appointment! If you show up without an appointment, we will not be able to meet with you.

If the ‘I need help’ button does not work or you have any other questions, please contact us by:

  • Email:
  • Post: Hungarian Helsinki Committee, 1242 Budapest, Pf. 317.
  • Tel: (+36 1) 321 4323, (+36 1) 321 4327, or (+36 1) 321 4141 on workdays.


The information you provide will only be shared within the Hungarian Helsinki Committee for professional consultation reasons. We do not share this information with anyone else. To learn more, read our Privacy Notice.

Sumbit a form to request our helpDemonstration

Hungarian Helsinki Committee